Historic Buildings in Telluride

The courthouse was one of the first buildings constructed in the community. The town originally constructed the San Miguel County Courthouse on West Colorado Avenue in 1885. Sadly, a fire swept through the structure shortly thereafter. Using the bricks from the first building, the community reconstructed the courthouse on the corner of Oak Street and Colorado Avenue.

The elegant New Sheridan Hotel & Opera House opened in 1895 and remains a well-known landmark today. The luxurious characteristics of the establishment included velvet-curtained booths in the Continental Room dining hall. Each booth also featured a phone for ordering meals. The beautiful cherry wood bar was custom crafted in Austria. In 1914, J. Erickson painted the Venetian scene on the roll curtain of the opera house. The hotel, restaurant, and opera house continue welcoming guests today.

Now the Town Hall, the one room building on the corner of Columbia Avenue and Fir Street initially served as the community's schoolhouse. Constructed in 1883 for the price of $3,000, the school's first class consisted of a teacher and 53 students. With the completion of a larger school, the community used the building for office space. Later, an added tower served as the location for drying the fire department's hoses.

The many historical buildings in Telluride include the historical museum. The renovated location now houses artifacts and photographs that retell the history of the community, which includes the now famous mining days. Dr. Hall constructed the building in 1895 as a hospital. Hall cared for the miners, townsfolk, and impoverished residents of the country.

Constructed in 1900, the North Oak House gained notoriety as being one of the structures that survived the 1914 flood. A spring storm filled the nearby Comet Creek, which flooded and transformed into a raging current of mud and rocks that blanketed the community. In its wake, the flood left five feet of debris and mud from the Liberty Bell Mine to Colorado Avenue. By the time the deluge ended, many buildings including this house and the Sheridan Bar contained mud halfway to the ceiling. The completely restored building now enjoys a place on the National Register of Historic Homes.

The Rio Grande Southern Railway Depot accompanied the introduction of the railroad in 1891. Located within close proximity to boardinghouses and warehouses, this part of town offered the most excitement back in the day. Many of the original buildings continue standing on San Juan Avenue. In 1991, the community renovated the depot, which now serves as one of the local restaurants.